Blood Orange Review publishes writers of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Our editors want writing that changes us and challenges us to redefine our sense of perspective. We look for compelling voices and work that demonstrates attention to the page. We are thrilled when we publish someone for the first time, and though our journal is modestly-sized and our selection is competitive, we encourage both emerging and established writers to submit.
General Submission Guidelines
- We consider poetry, fiction, and nonfiction
- Our reading period for general submissions is September 1 – April 1.
- Please send original, unpublished work only.
- We currently charge $3 per submission, which is paid when submitting your work through Submittable.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please withdraw your submission from Submittable if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
- To check on the status of your submission, log into your account at any time using the email address and password you entered during your initial submission.
- If work is accepted, we will contact you by email and provide a contract requesting first North American serial rights; upon publication, rights automatically revert to the author.
- We regret that we are unable to pay our writers, but we do our best to promote your work on our site and through our social media networks.
- The editors will make every attempt to respond to your submission in eight weeks.